Sunday, May 29, 2011

Whatever-You-Like Pizza















So the picture is not much to talk about, but the pizza is AMAZING. I made this for my parents when they came up for my birthday (along with a blueberry pie!) using my brand new pizza stone from my boyfriend. Holy moly it was good! The crust was crunchy without being burnt (probably due to my amazing new stone), and the crust rivaled the best I've ever had from a pizza parlor. The cool thing is you can really put whatever you want on top of it to get exactly the pizza you like. Enjoy!




Ingredients
Dough
2/3 cup + 1 tbsp lukewarm water
1 tsp yeast
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp sugar
1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour

Toppings
Really, just put whatever you like on top, but make sure to cook everything first. The pizza isn't in the oven long enough to really cook the vegetables, unless you prefer them crunchy. Here's what I used, but get creative!
Pizza sauce (I didn't have time to make it fresh so I just grabbed some from the store... next time)
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 green pepper, thinly sliced
1 package mushrooms, thinly sliced
3 Roma tomatoes, sliced
Small (3.8 oz) can sliced olives
Fresh mozzarella cheese, grated (optional)

Instructions
  1. The night before cooking, prepare the dough. Mix all ingredients until well incorporated and let rise on the counter for 2 hours. Do not knead!! Place in fridge and use within 1 week. 
  2. On baking day, preheat the oven to 425°F 20 minutes before baking time, if using a baking stone (if not using a stone, a 5-7 minute preheat will do). 
  3. Prepare vegetables however you wish. I just threw all mine except the tomatoes into a wok on the stove for a few minutes to soften them up. 
  4. Split dough in two equal pieces and roll each into a 1/4 inch thick round. Place on a pizza peel or baking parchment.
  5. On one of the rounds, spread the pizza sauce and top with vegetables and cheese, if desired. 
  6. Bake for about 15 minutes, depending on how crunchy you like your pizza.
  7. Repeat for the second ball of dough, or safe for later use. 
  8. Let cool for a few minutes and serve. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment