Let's start off with a simple, delicious recipe for low-fat and vegan banana bread muffins. I make these in the morning before class (they're actually in the oven right now!) and bring a few to work with me. Let's just say they don't last very long. They're very moist and chewy, and you honestly can't tell they're made with whole wheat!
1/4 cup non-dairy milk
1/4 tsp lemon juice
3 large or 4-5 small ripe bananas
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup raw or white granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract (optional)
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a muffin pan.
- Combine non-dairy milk and lemon in a medium bowl and mix until bubbly.
- Mash bananas. You can do this in a bowl with a spatula, in a food processor, or as I prefer, in a Ziploc bag. If you choose the ziploc method, place bananas in bag and make sure to get all the air out. Mash the bananas with your hands, being careful not to pop the bag! When you're finished, cut a small hole in a bottom corner of the bag and simply squeeze the mashed banana out!
- Combine mashed bananas with the sugars and milk mixture; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the spices, flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Add the banana mixture and all remaining ingredients.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins until about 3/4 full. Don't forget to grease your pan! Top with oats if desired.
- Place on the middle rack of your oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Enjoy!