Friday, June 3, 2011

Poppy Seed Loaf



















I'm so excited!! First of all, this turned out AMAZING. I made it last night when I really should have been focusing on my essay that is due today, but I needed a break. But it's all good, because I ended up finishing my essay with plenty of time this morning, AND I get to eat this amazing.... loaf. About that, I'm not really sure what it is. It's not really a cake, because It's a little tougher than cake and it's made in a loaf pan. But it's not just bread, either.... It's somewhere in between. So I've officially just dubbed it a loaf. It's great toasted and with a little jam for breakfast (my boyfriend can attest to that), wonderful as a snack, and just sweet enough to pass as a dessert. Hey, you can just eat it all day long :)


But don't. Even though it's vegan (which is awesome! I actually made two recipes, one that had eggs and one that uses applesauce, and the vegan one had a better texture AND better taste.. woohoo!), it's not necessarily healthy. I made three mini loaves and cut each into 12 slices, which is pretty small (it's easier to eat less when the loaves are smaller to start with). So indulge a bit, but make it last. You'll enjoy the loaf and your health for a little longer :)

Ingredients
3/4 cup soy milk
1/4 cup poppy seeds
2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tbsp lemon juice + 2 tbsp orange juice (OR 1/4 cup of one or the other)
2 tsp vanilla extract


Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease 3 mini loaf pans. 
  2. Combine soy milk and poppy seeds in a small bowl and let soak while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
  3. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in another small bowl. 
  4. Using an electric mixer, mix oil and sugar in a large bowl for one minute. 
  5. Add the applesauce and mix for an additional 2 minutes. 
  6. Add dry ingredients, juices, vanilla, and soy milk mix to the bowl. Mix with electric mixer for another 2 minutes.
  7. Divide evenly between the 3 loaf pans, leaving at least 1/2 in from the top rim. Bake for about 40 minutes, until the tops are a nice golden color. 
  8. Let cool before slicing and serve. Since you have more than one loaf, feel free to give one away and make someone's day (and keep yourself from eating ALL of it). I did!

Nutritional Information
Calculated using recipes.sparkpeople.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment